Your daily shower is a time to refresh, decompress, and get nice and clean. However, the length of your shower not only has an impact on the environment, but also on your mental well-being, physical health, and electricity bill. Therefore, it is important to be aware of how long you should be showering.
The short answer
According to dermatologists, your shower should be between 5 minutes and 15 minutes, depending on what you need to do in the shower. This will give you ample time to clean up and decompress a bit, while also allowing extra time for washing your hair or shaving.
Negative effects of showering for too long
If the 5-15 minute recommendation seems way too short for you, then it is important to know why this is the recommended amount of time. Aside from cutting costs on your water bill and saving the environment, there are other negative effects of lengthy showers.
- Long showers impact your skin’s moisture– Researchers have found that long showers strip the skin of moisture. This can cause your skin to crack and bleed, especially with long exposure to hot water. Therefore, consider shorter showers and make sure to always moisturize right after.
- Long showers could be an indicator of over washing– Cleanliness and good hygiene is extremely important. However, most wash way more than is necessary, leading to longer showers and other negative effects. For example, soap is designed to dissolve dirt and oil, which is then washed away by the water. In general, our arms and legs aren’t large collectors of oil build-up, so washing them with soap will merely leave your skin completely dry. The same goes for washing your hair. While many opt for washing their hair daily, experts recommend only washing your hair once or twice a week!
- Long showers can lead to ingrown hairs– Proper shaving necessitates that the skin and hair are damp. However, too much heat and steam can lead to hair swelling. Hair swelling is true to its name, causing the hair to swell and lead to ingrown hairs after the shower.
Proper shower tips
Implementing a proper shower routine is beneficial in every aspect of your life. Now that you have some information on the proper length of time and some of the consequences of not sticking to it, here are some proper shower tips you can implement.
- Frequency– You should be showering enough to maintain proper hygiene and cleanliness. However, not so frequently that you are doing more harm than good. Consider factors like your activity level, profession, and how often it is recommended that you wash your hair.
- Temperature– Opt for warm water over hot water for the overall health of your skin and hair.
- Cleanse from the top down– Start with the top of your body, focusing on the areas that collect the most dirt (armpits, groin, feet). Allow the soap to run down your body for the most effective use of your cleansers.
- Shave last– This will allow your skin and hair to soften and dampen, allowing for a close and clean shave.
- After shower care– What you do after the shower is just as crucial. Make sure to pat yourself dry, instead of rubbing. Also, make it a priority to moisturize immediately after to keep your skin healthy.
Implementing a proper shower routine begins with being mindful of the length of your shower. Keeping your shower between 5-15 minutes is beneficial to your overall health and optimal cleanliness. For any concerns or issues with the plumbing in your shower, contact the experts at New Generation Plumbing today.